Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Outcome of the Election by Teresa

I was thrilled at the outcome of the election. I was alone at home and started jumping up and down when Obama elected flashed on the TV screen at 11pm. I can barely explain the emotions. I really did not think a black man would be elected in my lifetime. The word of Martin Luther King Jr. spoken forty years prior has and does even today move me to tears.

I was also moved to tears on the night of the election. I mouthed the words “thank you Lord”. I had not always been rooting for Barack Obama. It was not because I was not proud of this young black man and glad that he was getting a chance to run. I was a Hillary Clinton supporter. I had met her personally and had worked on her Senatorial campaign. I felt at the time that she was the more experienced candidate and probably in the back of my mind I did not think that white America, would elect a Black Man.

During the Campaign before the primary when Hillary Clinton started becoming negative and Obama started winning more and more electoral votes, I wanted Hillary to stop campaigning and just give up.

When she did not I began to look at obama and started to root for him. By that time he won the Democratic Nomination, I was in his camp. I watched the entire Democratic convention and was again overwhelmed with emotion when Obama made his made his acceptance speech. I watched the entire republican convention, looking at the few black faces in the crowds the negative words spoken about Obama form McCain. Would white America allow this to happen? I watched all the debates giving Obama the better score for all of them.

During this time I had become a complete news junkie. Late in the campaign when our economy faltered and we had wall street fall, I watched Senator McCain and company sound like idiots I watched Obama stay cool under pressure. I became encouraged again.

Now that the election is over and Obama has won, I am still punching myself. I thought my elation could go no higher until I saw the inauguration. I watched many of the inaugural events, this time along with the other people watching on a huge TV screen. I could scarcely take it in, I was so enthralled. I shed tears again. My prayer now is that President Obama can proceed in leading America.

No comments:

Post a Comment